Home Care

Home Care

How to Protect You and Your Family from Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can be deadly in the home, especially if you have LPG gas heaters in your building. If you want to benefit from the advantages of natural gas heaters, then it’s imperative that you guard yourself and your family from their dangers as well. Increasingly, carbon monoxide poisoning is a threat to families in Australia and across the world. That’s why it’s important to spread awareness and provide education on the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Fortunately, the threat can be prevented with regular servicing of your gas fireplace in Melbourne as well as the installation of a carbon monoxide detector alarm. This allows you to enjoy the warmth of LPG gas heaters without the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

How is Carbon Monoxide Produced?

Carbon monoxide can be produced by heating systems, inadequate ventilation, blocked flues or chimneys, and faulty appliances that are leaking. It’s created when carbon-containing fuels such as gas, coal, oil and wood are broken down in an incomplete combustion process. It’s not just a problem in older homes, but can affect any building where there is poor ventilation or a faulty appliance. If you see yellow gas flames instead of blue in the bed of your gas fireplace in Melbourne, this could be a warning sign that carbon monoxide is present.

Why is Carbon Monoxide So Dangerous?

The main reason why carbon monoxide is so dangerous is that it’s hard to detect. It’s colourless, does not have a smell, and is non-irritant, so you won’t have any way of knowing it’s in the air, unless you have a carbon monoxide detector alarm installed. Some common signs of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Irritability
  • Confusion/memory loss
  • Disorientation
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Abnormal reflexes
  • Difficulty in coordinating
  • Difficulty in breathing
  • Chest pain
  • Cerebral edema
  • Convulsions and seizures
  • Coma
  • Death


As you can see, these are some very serious effects. The best way to ensure that you’re protected from carbon monoxide poisoning in your household is to install a detector alarm so you can stay warm in winter with natural gas heaters while eliminating the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. You should also keep your LPG gas heaters regularly serviced and maintained.


How to Use a Carbon Monoxide Detector


A carbon monoxide detector is your best defence against carbon monoxide poisoning. These alarms are very affordable and could be one of the best investmentsyou’ll ever make for your family’s safety. If you have a gas fireplace in Melbourne, it’s a very good idea to get a carbon monoxide detector fitted in your home by a qualified professional. A carbon monoxide detector will work in a similar way to a smoke alarm. It will give you early warning of high levels of carbon monoxide in the air so that you can evacuate the premises. If your alarm goes off, immediately go outside into fresh air. If anyone in your family is showing signs of poisoning, call 000 for medical assistance. If no-one has symptoms, turn off all gas and other fuel burning appliances, open all the windows to ventilate the rooms, and get a professional to test all your appliances for safety. By installing a carbon monoxide detector and getting your gas fireplace in Melbourne serviced regularly, you can have peace of mind knowing that your family is safe from the potential danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.